Tuesday, November 3, 2009

No momma's boys!

aahhh!??? Are you going to go cry to mommy??? LOL. Yep, that's what the kids say to the boys that don't stick up for themselves and go cry off somewhere. Were you that boy? Are you raising that boy? Hopefully not. If so, hopefully by reading this you'll start raising tough boys. Seriously, you're boy can take it. Don't baby him. Recently I was incharge of boys at an overnight field trip at a camp. I was warned about one of the boys. "He will not last all night", is what I was told all night by several adults that knew him. Me being the optimist knew this was the thing I can handle. This boy obvisously had been cuddled by his parents. My first impression of him included him crying that he didn't get a top bunk, since the other boys already picked the spots that they were going to sleep. SERIOUSLY!?!? I immediately pulled the boy outside and told sternly told him to "man up". "No crying." "You don't get to cry for not getting a top bunk." Now this boy had grown up getting his way by crying and throwing a fit. I'm not the one to give in. After my conversation he calmed down.

What did I do? I stood my ground. That's it. You don't raise your boys to cry for their way. You raise them to be a man. Long story short this boy was given no chance. Apparently his parents didn't even think he would make it all night. Honestly I believe about 7 or 8 adults warned me and told me there is no way he would make it through the night. Well guess what? He made it. Sure I had to tell him to quiet down. Sure I told him to stop crying. But, I didn't give up on him. And in the morning, I told him I was proud of him making it through. I talked to him about being a man. That is what he needed. No momma's boys! Be a man!

1 comment:

  1. Love this point; you don't get your way by crying in the real world. Something that would behove every child to learn at a young age. No matter whether it is a boy or a girl; you don't get ANYTHING by crying, you get it by hard work and dedication!! Kudos for teaching your children this undervalued lesson!!!

    --Lindsay Hartman

    ReplyDelete